Whether you feel that achieving your dreams is way out on the horizon or just a few moments away, it’s essential for you to feel confident they are attainable.
One key to achieving your dreams is to believe in yourself and your abilities. Only you can make them come true. Only you can overcome the doubts.
If you’ve doubted whether you can reach your dreams, try these strategies to overcome doubt and regain your confidence:
- Learn to recognize self-doubt. Are you aware of how much doubt is affecting your dreams? The first step is to recognize the power that self-doubt has over you. You may have a dream, but are you actively pursuing it? Doubt can paralyze you and stop you from going after your dreams. It can creep in slowly and destroy them. You may not even notice how much it’s hurting your dreams.
- Avoid letting your struggles stop you. Struggles can increase your doubt about your abilities to achieve your goals. They can cause you to give up and walk away – if you let them. Struggles and challenges are a natural part of the journey toward your dreams. Rather than pretending that the issues don’t exist or that you can avoid them, face them head on. Know that you can find a solution and continue moving forward toward your dreams. It might be a different path than what you originally planned, but consider that it might be even better, too.
- Recognize excuses. If you don’t believe in yourself, then you can create many excuses to stop going after your dreams. You may tell yourself that you’re not worthy of your dreams or that they’re foolish. You may convince yourself that you don’t deserve success, happiness, or other good things. Doubt can make you stay in a comfortable place that isn’t fulfilling. Your excuses might include that you don’t have enough time or resources to achieve your dreams. You may also blame your family, background, or other features of your life. Recognize that you’re using these reasons for excuses. These excuses will keep you from showing up with your full and best energy when it matters most. For better results, think of excuses as simply challenges that you can find a solution to, and get busy!
- Act with confidence. Even if you’re afraid to step forward, it’s important to act with confidence. The old cliché of “faking it till you make it” can apply here. More importantly, by embracing the courage to step forward in the face of fear demonstrates courage. You must go after your dreams with passion and confidence even when you’re scared and uncertain. Practice by doing things that take a little (not a lot of) courage. Not only will you get some things done, but you’ll also have more self-esteem because you’re doing things that scare you. You can build up your confidence over time with little steps.
- View your challenges in a new way. Life is filled with teachable moments that can help you get to your dreams. Usually, they take the form of challenges. Challenges can shape and transform you. Instead of thinking of your challenges as failures, look at them as learning opportunities, or results that can show you a new, more effective approach. Each challenge gives you the chance to experience something new and learn from it. They’re a sign that you’re growing as a person and making progress. They mean that you’re getting closer to your goals. They’re the steppingstones in your path that act as markers for the final destination of your dreams. By taking small steps every day toward your dreams, you will be able to leave your most meaningful legacy with purpose and intention.
Self-doubt can destroy any dream. It can make you feel like you’re worthless. It can make you think that your dreams aren’t possible and will never happen. But this isn’t true! You can overcome this negative thought process with strategies like these. Regain your self-confidence and go after your dreams!
Resources for Overcoming Doubt and Pursing your Dreams:
- Schedule time with one of our professional coaches for additional resources and support as you navigate through this process.
- Go deeper in these 5 strategies with our online courses listed below this post.
- Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly information on strategies for professional, leadership and team development.
We would love to hear from you: What is keeping you from pursuing your dreams? What would it be like for you to achieve these dreams?
Share your story in the comments below.